As we established back with the Bacon Wrapped Salmon –everything is better with bacon. Even salad. Even broccoli! Watch out broccoli haters, because this little salad is about to change your mind real quick!
This is arguably not the healthiest salad around, thanks to our sugary dressing… but sometimes (in salad, and in life) you just need a little extra sweetness to get through some undesirable situations.
Like eating broccoli.
Okay, I’m only kidding!
In all seriousness, I absolutely love broccoli!
However, as with any kid I fought it tooth and nail to avoid it… but now that I’m a big kid, I dearly appreciate what that mighty green vegetable has to offer! Like twice the vitamin C of an orange, almost as much calcium as whole milk, not to mention it’s anti-cancer and antiviral properties thanks to our pal selenium.
Yeah. I’ll take one of those please.
It was actually broccoli salad (not this one specifically, but this recipe was inspired by it!) that got me eating my broccoli. Looking back, it was likely due to the sugar in the dressing, but hey -it got me hooked! So if you’re a broccoli hater or simply need a little extra sweetness in your day (while still reaping the benefits broccoli has to offer) then turn up “Never Gonna Give You Up” by Rick Astley and let’s get right into it!
Serves: 8 Prep Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 16 -20 slices (roughly 1 pound) of bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 7 cups of fresh broccoli florets
- 3 cups of cauliflower florets
- 1 cup of mayonnaise or vegenaise
- 1 cup of red and/or green seedless grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels. Crumble when cool.
- In a large bowl, stir together mayonnaise, grapes, red onion, sugar, and vinegar. Add broccoli, cauliflower, two-thirds of the bacon and mix until evenly coated. Place the remaining bacon in the refrigerator.
- Cover and chill the salad for at least 1 hour before enjoying.
- Sprinkle reserved bacon over the salad just before serving.
- Dish up & Enjoy!
There we have it! A beautiful, delicious salad that will leave any broccoli haters wanting more!
Health & Happiness,